With the growing amount of merchandise and our marquee to transport to the Monthly Meets and other events came the need to find transport for it all and for the past few months we've been having to load up multiple cars to get it done or as we did this month, borrow a van.
We've been on the lookout for a suitable vehicle that we could purchase once we got to this stage and last week we came across something that we feel fits the bill perfectly. A 1980 Mk2 Ford Escort Van that we've dubbed 'Project Van-Daaaammn'.
While we could have easily gone out and purchased a run of the mill Hiace or similar, where's the fun in that??? Our meets and cruises attract some seriously cool rides each month and so we figured we need to be rocking up in something that will fit right in.
Now while she's no show piece at the moment the old girl is in decent shape for her age and the fact she's been sitting outside, unloved on dirt for the past 4 years. Having undergone a part restoration 7 or 8 years ago certainly helped, in fat the paint on this thing is actually pretty damn good, especially after a quick bath.
Inside is your typical ratty old school 80's look and smell but on the positive side, complete. The dash and console are in good condition and complete and we even got a few boxes of spares aswell.
It's what's in the back that is what's important for us tho; that's SPACE and ample amounts of it! More than enough to fit all of our gear.
From standard the car was equipped with a 1.6 donk up front and not knowing a hell of a lot about the old fords that's exactly what we thought we were getting. Once we did a bit of digging around though we found that one of the previous owners had upgraded her to a 2.0L, equipped with a 38 DGAS Webber and backed up by what we believe is a Celica 5-Speed. BONUS!
Covered in dirt and bucket loads of grime as well as a tree's-worth of sticks and leaves she looked a bit sad but nothing that a quick hit with the air blower, a few cans of degreaser and elbow-grease couldn't fix though.
After a bit of effort things look much better and allow us to get a clear picture of what we need to do to get her running again which we expect won't be much. We'll be replacing the starter cables and a small bit of wiring that's on the bodgy side and running a temporary fuel pump/tank setup just to fire her up and check her over before we get stuck into the bodywork.
While she has got some cancer around the place it's nothing that is too hard to fix up and we're hoping that once the repairs are carried out we can have the paint blended in nice enough that you won't realise anything has been done.
As we mentioned, the paint is quite good and came up a treat with a quick wash and the colour looks great. Just think of how she could look with a nicely lowered stance rolling on some sweet gold old-school rims to go with the stripe... :)
We've got quite a bit of work ahead of us but we'll be keeping you up to date on the progress as we go so be sure to check back on here and also follow the build on the IMCC Facebook page HERE